This year there’s been some chatter about CREtech reaching market saturation and with that a lot of buyer confusion among decision...
Mapping the CREtech EcosystemAnthony
I wanted to gain an understanding of the CREtech market players and associated funding. I created a map for myself, hopefully you find it useful too. You can view my original research here.
This ecosystem map is not designed to be 100% comprehensive. It’s more to understand all the different spaces within CREtech. I am biased towards startups in the space. If I am missing something tweet me @tonydominguez. This space is developing quickly so take this into consideration. I left out marketplace companies in the map, as that would be an entire analysis itself.
- In 2012 and 2013 the funding for CREtech grew 189% and 726% respectively year over year. The growth in funding in 2014 and 2015 YTD dropped to 20% and 34%.
- Debt Origination is a significant portion of the CREtech ecosystem due to venture debt financing.
- Due to Auction.com investment; Stone Point Capital is the largest CREtech investor at over $91MM followed by Google Capital at $50MM. The next largest is RRE Ventures at $35MM having invested in Hightower, TheSquareFoot, Managed by Q, and Floored.
- Risk Management / Property Insurance is a very underrepresented space and highly automatable, just look at what Zenefits has done for human resources.
- Using number of companies as sole metric, Research / Analytics and Marketplaces are starting to become saturated.
- There are surprisingly few commercial hybrid brokerages; Compass was not included in this analysis as they do residential.
Great work, Anthony. Kind of you to inform.
Very thoughtful and well covered article. It is comprehensive & very informative.good luck Anthony, would like to connect and share some information.
Thanks Vineet, you can reach me at anthony at atlasx.co. Look forward to hearing from you.
Heckuva good job. I sure apipacrete it.
Great work. This is very helpful. I appreciate you sharing the data.
Sharing data is what CREtech is about. Glad you found it useful.
This artclie is a home run, pure and simple!
I’m impressed. You’ve really raised the bar with that.
Tnx Anthony, one of the best CRE coverages so far, you’ve done some thorough and excellent work
Thank you, that means a lot!
VICTORY IS SURE